**BREAKING NEWS** The AGA man has moved his blog!

The AGA man's blog has moved AND it has a new title as David is no longer the AGA man! Please go to davidseverywhere.wordpress.com where you will find lots of old posts from the AGA Pointing days plus photos and updates from Gina and Tom Ellis Racing (where David now works). There will also be plenty of words (and pics) about point-to-point horse racing.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Isabel Tompsett puts AGA race previews on hold for a day as she is keen to preview Thursday's Hunter Chase at Warwick

I called Isabel on Wednesday so that she could preview the pointing action this coming weekend, in particular the 2 AGA sponsored Ladies Open races at Friar's Haugh and Sheriff Hutton. She was in absolutely sparkling form and had just returned  from a shopping trip with, in her own words, "a trolley full of things".
Isabel at Cilwendeg last season after another win aboard "Annie"

The preview had to be put on hold however, because I mentioned that I was going racing on Thursday at Warwick. There is a Hunter Chase on the card and as soon as I said I was looking forward to it the conversation changed course. I soon realised that I would be writing two updates from Isabel this week as she was now about to preview the Hunter Chase (I didn't mind).
Issy and Find It Out
Issy said "read me the runners and riders please", so I put my Weekender away, logged on to the Racing Post website and did just that. I always enjoy chatting to Isabel, and we talk about many things, but I never fail to smile at her enthusiasm when we talk about racing, and maybe I'm also a little bit amazed at the level of detail that she remembers about individual horses. 
Issy and Annie
Maybe I shouldn't be so amazed, she can be razor sharp at times and it's wonderful to hear. There are some horses that she isn't familiar with, but most of the time I just have to mention a name and I get the trainer, who rides, track, going and distance preference, and whether she thinks it has a chance. 
The Morning Line team ... more of them later
Isabel narrowed it down to 3 for the race at Warwick - Bradley, Hills of Aran and recent AGA race winner Monkerty Tunkerty - which has me thinking that I should consider some combination bets as Issy is not a bad tipster! She was very impressed with Monkerty Tunkertys win over Sericina at Wadebridge and said that if she was forced to choose then she would go with this one, although she does like Bradley. I'm also assuming that she would have treated Bradley at some point as she was based at Fergal O' Brien's yard and when I see him at Warwick I will ask him (apologies in advance if I'm wrong).   
Monkerty Tunkerty (no 5) at Wadebridge
I promised to call and let her know the result and that also gives her a little more time to brush up on the entries for this weekend. I asked if we can pay her a visit - hopefully next week, as we would like to do a feature on her life at Oaksey House, and also tie this in with a visit to a couple of the local jockeys who also use the facilities at Oaksey, Emily MacMahon and Camilla Henderson. Emily and Camilla have both featured in AGA races this season - both have points on the board, and Emily has called in to see Isabel for a chat. 
Issy and Usk Valley
Isabel then told me about a rather special visitor who had been to see her earlier on Wednesday, it was none other than the "greatest jockey" himself, John Francome, along with a Channel 4 camera crew. They filmed a feature which is due to air in the next couple of weeks, and as soon as I find out the date I will post in on here and also tweet it! We ended our conversation on that great news and will pick up again on Friday for Issy's weekend preview.