**BREAKING NEWS** The AGA man has moved his blog!

The AGA man's blog has moved AND it has a new title as David is no longer the AGA man! Please go to davidseverywhere.wordpress.com where you will find lots of old posts from the AGA Pointing days plus photos and updates from Gina and Tom Ellis Racing (where David now works). There will also be plenty of words (and pics) about point-to-point horse racing.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Baltic appears in a point-to-point blog title for the second time this season as AGA brave the elements at Whitwick Manor

Sunday 10th March - I had a call from our CEO William McGrath while I was driving to Whitwick Manor and he asked me what would be the best way to avoid getting stuck in the mud, my advice was to park a mile away and walk to the course, and he did just that! I didn't take my own advice and I almost regretted that a few hours later, but by then I was so cold that I didn't really care.
I walked the course with Hannah Lewis and her husband Adrian Wintle, and according to Derek I was 'blowing a bit' when I returned, while Beazo thought it would be a good idea to take a photo of the AGA man striding out. The AGA tent was left behind today as it was still soaking from the previous days trip to Brocklesby Park (and also covered in mud). Mrs S was also absent, reported to be needing a day of 'box rest' having not eaten up!
This conversation was about how to power your AGA without using fossil fuels, cow dung was one of the suggestions, along with many other fuel types. Beazo looks perished and in need of a cup of tea!
'Baltic' is mentioned in the title of this blog, and the sparse crowd reflected this with a fair few choosing not to leave the warmth of their cars. It may have been baltic, but that cannot be said about the welcome that we received from everyone at Whitwick, which was every bit as warm as we have come to expect.
Top scribe Jeremy Grayson has that look on his face that says "why are you taking my photograph?", while Stella Havard keeps her eyes on the action.
For the second day running our AGA Ladies Open race was a match as 25 entries became 2 runners, so a big thank you goes to Annie Dalton and Charly Prichard, and connections of Kirbybroguelantern and Prince Massini. Mind you, every cloud has a silver lining so it was a good opportunity for these two rising stars to take the spotlight.
Two mums having a natter in the paddock - Heather Dalton was leading up Kirbybroguelantern but said riding was much easier, while Tracey Prichard was happy to leave the leading up duties to Charly's dad Ian.
With a circuit to run the pair were level, however I think it's fair to say that Kirbybroguelantern decided he didn't fancy it on the second circuit and I was pleased to see Annie keep him going ... not least because she bagged her first AGA Championship points of the season. The eagle eyed among you will spot some 'AGA boys' leaning nonchalantly on the fence, and I can state quite categorically that this photo was not staged!
Charly was delighted with her win, and with the 10 AGA Championship points which put her firmly in the mix at the top end of the AGA table. The Prichard family are great supporters of our series and I have a feeling that more points will be heading Charlotte's way soon.
Our CEO was on hand to do the honours after the race - in his new Barbour, and Charly had a special request for the AGA man, she would love to see the return of the AGA Total Control fleece!
My mate Maz Scudamore had made the short trip to Whitwick especially to see the AGA man ... well that's what I told myself, and as ever Beazo was on hand to capture the moment for the AGA archives.
Our AGA Total Control Champion had a ride in the Club Members Mares Maiden and I was keen to see her mount - Kazuri Kate in action, especially having listened to one of the phone calls she made from the back of my car the previous day on the way to Brocklesby Park! I was impressed, but must admit to leaving straight after this race as I was almost frozen solid, plus I had to get back to Cubbington, pick four pals up, then head down to Cheltenham for the Festival preview evening!
The Festival is always a good place to catch up with people and our AGA ladies were out in force, I bumped into a few of them on Thursday, including two of Yorkshire's finest, Samantha Coward and Joanna Mason, and then two more of Yorkshire's finest later that same day in the parade ring ...
These two AGA finalists both had a ride in the Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase, Jacqueline on Wedger Pardy and Sammy on Leac An Scail.
I also took the opportunity to grab a photo of mum Cherry Coward with her two girls, the last time I was taking photos of these three in the Cheltenham parade ring was after Amicelli's victory in the AGA final last season! Well, that's all for this week, lets hope the next blog does not have any mention of cold, rain, wind, snow, mud or small fields ... but I wouldn't bank on it!