**BREAKING NEWS** The AGA man has moved his blog!

The AGA man's blog has moved AND it has a new title as David is no longer the AGA man! Please go to davidseverywhere.wordpress.com where you will find lots of old posts from the AGA Pointing days plus photos and updates from Gina and Tom Ellis Racing (where David now works). There will also be plenty of words (and pics) about point-to-point horse racing.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Highfields Stables, some rather nice horses and an AGA - hospitality Northamptonshire style

The sun was shining brightly this morning and that was enough to ensure a reappearance for the summer Barbour ... a bit of an overreaction I agree, but after the last week or so today felt almost tropical! Northamptonshire was the destination of choice for a visit to Highfields Stables, home of Heather and Tony Kemp, and some rather nice horses, oh, and some friendly Norfolk Terriers.
A trip down memory lane, Party Politics came first in the
same week as the 1992 General Election ... unfortunately
for some, so did John Major
Highfields is also home to a fantastic B&B; which boasts stunning views across the Northamptonshire countryside, so if you are ever considering a visit to this beautiful part of the country then you should certainly have a look at their website - Highfields B and B. An added attraction is that your breakfast will be cooked on the AGA.
Gidam Gidam - who we hope to see in action on Sunday


First on the agenda was an introduction to the inmates at Highfields, and I had come prepared with a pocketful of polo mints. One by one heads popped over stable doors but I have a feeling that it wasn't me they were interested in, it was the contents of my pockets!
Caged Tiger
"Show me your teeth"
Gidam Gidam
Lollypop - we bonded
Or Bleu

R-L: Or Bleu, Caged Tiger, Gidam Gidam
and Ungaro
I enjoy any time spent around horses but I must admit to being very taken by the five that I met today, and I can't resist just one more pic of Caged Tiger (below). I had to be practically dragged away but the promise of a sausage and bacon sandwich cooked on the AGA did the trick.
Caged Tiger
While Heather gave us a potted history of Highfields we took a look around the rest of the yard, which contains a horse walker big enough to exercise 6 horses at a time, and a pretty impressive indoor school.
The indoor school, next time you see a photograph of this
I will be riding something ... I just haven't asked Heather yet!
Sandwiches and coffee were served in a very imposing room that used to be home to an indoor swimming pool in a previous life, and lunch was followed by a tour of the large and very comfortable letting rooms. I was very impressed, so impressed in fact that I almost booked in!
Highfields - nice isn't it?
Hold on, I've missed a bit, Heather and Tony have a black 4 oven electric AGA, and it's a very nice AGA ... would anyone else like to buy one?